Ok, so I have been interviewing for internship teaching positions for like a month and a half now and I have really been starting to think that I am wearing a sign on my back into interviews that says "Please do not hire me!" I don't know what it is, but apparently the "do no hire Erika at any cost" phenomenon has spread to the realm of lower-class part-time jobs as well.
I went for an interview at Montessori preschool in Lindon today as part of my quest to find a new summer job. I walk in and this lady who has spent way too many hours in a tanning bed hands me an application without even shaking my hand, introducing herself, or making eye contact. She then proceeds to sit and yell at someone on the phone for twenty minutes, even after I have clearly finished filling out my application (consisting of information that is already on my resume) and continues her heated discussion into my scheduled interview time. You think she could have at least told me it would be a few minutes or something. Then she looks at my application for about three seconds, tells me the job only pays seven dollars an hour and I have asked for something in the $9-10 range and asks if this would be a problem. Seven dollars an hour? I am pretty sure I could make more than that at some fast food chains. That is just a crime. So, seeing as how I like to eat and keep a roof over my head, I told her I would need more than seven dollars an hour (very politely I might add). She responds with "Well, then I guess you shouldn't waste my time or yours and you should try telemarketing if you want to make that kind of money." She then hands me back my resume and tells me not to waste it on her.
WOW! Seriously? I was infuriated. What happened to people skills? Of course I was too dumbfounded to speak, but by the time I got back in the car I really wished I had given her a piece of my mind. I could not believe she was so rude. Here's a tip: post the wage in the newspaper ad and don't make people drive all the way to Lindon just so that you can abuse them. Needless to say, I am still on the hunt.
3 comments:
that is really sad. i will keep a look out.
girls are jerks. i'm sorry :(
Hello Love. Yes i have fallen off the face of the earth.. just a little bit, but i still love you and think you're mighty sexy. I'm so excited that you have a blog. Words can not explain my joy!! I'm adding you and your wonderful husband to my blog roll (it's quite the honor, ha). P.S. i would have freaking slapped that girl and said something mean regarding her fake tan and the fact that she is probably working for less than 7 dollars an hour. I'm sorry you had to deal with such a tool.
Post a Comment