Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shape Shifter

I have noticed in the last week that my stomach has taken on a life of its own. At any given moment in time, my belly transforms. On Monday morning, I woke up to a torpedo lodged in my lower abdomen. Later that day, I was all love handles and no belly. That night, I felt like I barely looked pregnant at all. Sometimes I am huge and sometimes I look almost normal.

People at work must think I am on some crazy binge-purge diet where I consistently fluctuate between weights. So, for what it's worth, here is a picture of me at eighteen weeks.I have no idea if this is really what I look like most of the time, but this is how I looked when mi madre took the picture.


In other news, I was feeling particularly skeptical of this irreversible life choice I made yesterday at work when my boss told me that his assistant would be needed for a company event on a cruise to the Caribbean in Febraury and in Phuket in the Fall of next year. All day long, I was thinking that it just might be possible to move to New York, have a baby, have a husband who travels two weeks out of the month and still keep my job in Provo. Cake walk, really.

Then as I was lying in bed wondering if I was ready for all of these changes I received a series of swift kicks in utero that put things into a bit more perspective. I think (and hope and pray) that this will be worth the postponed career. After all, what's a cruise when you could be in labor or a trip to Thailand when you could be changing a diaper in the great state of New York?

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

You still look skinny to meet... your hoots on the other size have definitely grown. Sorry if that was inappropriate.

Stephanie said...

I know exactly what you mean about a shape shifter tummy. Today I feel hardly pregnant, and last night I was sure I had "popped!" So crazy. You still look amazing for being at 18 weeks!

Ethan Deceuster said...

You're super skinny- enjoy it while you can. I had the same thought (did I really want to have a baby and was I ready to give up my life as a childless married couple?) when I was in labor. But it is worth it. Even when your baby poops all over you in the middle of the night...

Anonymous said...

Echo above sentiments. Totally worth it, even when your baby poops all over you and your mother-in-law's favorite bed comforter, and you lie about it happening . . .

Leandra said...

You are cute. You'll be a great mom. :)

The Coons Family said...

When you go an get your baby in the morning and they smile at you, then hold their arms out and then give you kisses... it is WAY better than a cruise. Promise.