Tuesday, May 25, 2010

LOST post

Disclaimer: I run the risk of sounding completely foolish by posting this, but I really want to post my take on the Lost finale. I know it might be silly to care so much about a TV show, but I do. So there.

Now I am sure that all who read this blog know that I am a fan of the TV show Lost. I always knew I really liked the show, but I didn't realize how much I loved the show until the final credit rolled across the screen rounding out the final minute of the final episode. In short, the finale was beautiful. It was moving. It brought me to tears on more than one occassion (although that is not really a difficult feat.)

After the episode ended I felt that I knew that this was always how Lost was supposed to end. Yes, it was sad. I would say it was tragically beautiful. I have forever been a Sawyer-Kate fan, but in the moment that Kate finally chose Jack, I knew that it was right. That, in a nutshell, was how I felt about the entire ending, and about the entire series really.

Although the finale did not answer all of our questions, I didn't care one bit. In my opinion, Lost has always been at its finest when it focused on the characters and the themes of life--love, death, destiny, revenge, faith, forgiveness, etc. And this is exactly what the writers focused on for the end. Part of the beauty of Lost is the mystery and some of the integirty of the show would have been forfeit if all of our questions had been answered. I personally thought it was profoundly brave of the writers to choose the after-life as the setting for their final scene, something that is such a mystery to so many people.

Sure there are things I might have changed or that I didn't fully understand, but all in all, it was a masterpiece. Six years of my life very well spent.

Now for the less serious part of the post:

The Lost cake prepared by the famous Brittany. You will notice the smoke, monster, submarine, well, and the sparkly cave. Nicely done and delicious.



And of course any big Lost event calls for Lostapalooza at my parents house. Here we are waiting in anticipation.





Farewell Lost, we will truly miss you!

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I feel so weird admitting this but I started tearing up a few times too!! It was well done and definitely not what a was expecting... therefore a perfect ending to the completely confusing show that I love. But even though I liked it, I didn't love it. I was pissed that Jack died alone, even though it was an appropriate death in an appropriate place for an appropriate reason... I still think they should have all died together on the island and lived in the alternate reality, each coming to a realization and remembrance of their life on the island."Live together, die alone" right? But you are right about the producers being brave to portray the after-life at all. Very gutsy. Anwyays, I'm done being dorky. Call me and we can get way into it together:)

Chris Herman said...

Great Post. I couldn't agree more.

Stephanie said...

That cake was AMAZING! I've never seen a lost episode, but it sounds like you guys had fun.

Elder Abbott said...

I can't say that the finale was perfect - because I didn't get any of that amazing looking cake!